Sunday 13 September 2015

State of 40k




It seems it's that time again for me to muse over the current state of 40K. The past few months have seen a dramatic reversal in which WFB takes centre stage to the near total exclusion of 40K. For me this is a good thing for a number of reasons. Firstly, both myself and several others in my gaming group had become disillusioned with the pace of 40K. It was just too much, too fast, with no time to take in the releases and implications of new rules before you were literally moving on to the next release. For example, Harlequins and Mechanicus are armies I have always been interested in and would like to have started. As it happens, I almost entirely skipped their releases (I have the book and literally one model from each release) because the pace was just too fast to keep up with and the financial commitment too great, with my hobby budget already overstretched trying to finish old projects.
Secondly, I actually quite like the age of Sigmar stuff. Not to the extent that I would start playing seriously as I have enough Hobby on my plate with 40K commitments and barely get in games of that. But the models are superb and the rules now simple to take up. I'm very seriously considering a starter set at some point in the next year for both the models and the occasional skirmish. Lastly, it has allowed me to actually catch up with hobby projects which were becoming overwhelming with no end in sight due to the new releases bombarding us every week.
So where do we go from here? It seems that 40k has to come back into the fold soon and with rumours of Tau, Tzeentch and Guard on the horizon (let's not forget that 30k set too) I dare say we aren't that far off. Having said that, I hope that Age of Sigmar continues to be pushed so we can get back to the good old days of a month of mixed releases for both systems, with one headlining one month while the other only throws out minor things. It remains still a great time to be a hobbyist regardless so here's to hoping the rest of 2015 doesn't disappoint. Cheers. `

No comments:

Post a Comment